"We often hear that technology is the thing that will save us. But technology and innovation are really just buzzwords. If they don't include everyone, technology just becomes another systemic barrier It's our goal [at Free Geek] that when we talk about innovation, we're really including everyone in the digital future and not leaving folks who are systemically disadvantaged left even further behind. "
Suzanne LaGrande interviews Hilary Shohoney who is the Director of Community Development at Free Geek. In this interview, Hilary talks about:
- Free Geek, and How it Solves Two Social Problem At the Same Time
- The Digital Divide & Lack of Access to Technology
- Computers: A luxury or a necessity?
- Access to Technology Linked to Other Forms of Systemic Oppression
- The Covid-19 Pandemic: Access to technology is now a matter of survival
- Senior Citizens and Access to TeleHealth Care
- Access for Kids in Foster Care
- Access to Mental Health Services
- Struggling to Meet the Need For Access at Present
- Help from the public and corporate partners Running low on inventory
- Getting People Connected
- Access to Technology as a Basic Human Right