KBOO absolutely depends on volunteers to carry out the work of the station.
Current volunteers: Click here to go to Vicnet, KBOO's online volunteer management system, to schedule or sign up for a shift. In order to use the new volgistics system, you'll need to create your own login- just follow the prompts at that link. The first time you login, please click on "need a password". Please fill out the information in your profile, including date of birth, update your contact information, and let us know when you are available to volunteer, and what you are most interested in doing.Once you have created your own login, go to the "my schedule" tab to see a drop down list of opportunities and trainings available, then sign yourself up!
Looking for a list of trainings we offer? Here's the list! It includes the next date for the training, and a description of each one. But to actually sign up, you'll need to be a current volunteer and click the Vicnet link above.
Not a KBOO volunteer yet, but thinking about it?
At KBOO we have a dynamic community of 500 volunteers doing everything from front desk work, janitorial work, community reporting, hosting information booths, clerical support, news writing, documentary making, engineering live music, operating sound boards, engineering and computer help, website upkeep, and many, many other things.
The next Volunteer Orientation will take place on Sunday December 1st from 2-4 pm
(Orientations are scheduled monthly)
Contact BreAna at 503-231-8032 ext. 213 or via email at volunteer[at]kboo[dot]org to with any questions regarding volunteer orienation or volunteering at KBOO. There is no pre-registration for the volunteer orientation-- just attend if you are able.
Do you want to get involved? Contact BreAna, the volunteer coordinator. Their email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, or call them at 503-231-8032 ext. 213.
Ready to submit your program proposal? Here is the form (you should have a 15-minute mp3 sample ready to upload with the form).
Volunteering at KBOO can take many, many paths. We have volunteers who come in to do things a few times each year, and other volunteers who spend 20+ hours each week at the station. Our volunteers range in age from nine years old to more than 80. Our community strives for inclusivity, and includes people of many races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, spiritual paths, economic classes, and political & philosophical schools of thought. Together we make up a thriving multi-cultural community working to create fabulous radio.
Orientations for new volunteers happen monthly, and are held at KBOO, 20 SE 8th Ave., just 1/2 block south of Burnside.
To volunteer at KBOO, there is a four step process to being an active volunteer:
1) Fill out the online Volunteer Application
2) Attend Volunteer Orientation
3) Talk with the volunteer coordinator to find out about trainings and schedule
4) Complete your first assignment
Volunteers at KBOO must be able to work collaboratively in a richly diverse, often hectic environment that is committed to non-violence within all levels of the organization.
Depending on your interests and availability, there are a great variety of things to do with KBOO. Some needs have very regular schedules, some are occasional. In general, volunteers write and produce news and public affairs content, mix-live music in studio, keep our website fresh and interesting, help with clerical support, help with outreach and special events, maintain the record library and archives, record lectures, meetings and readings, produce audio graphic arts, staff the front desk, and in many other ways
Currently, our biggest needs are for: news room volunteers, distributing flyers / postering, live remote broadcast tech help, live music mixologists, audio producers, audio production trainers, clerical support in the membership office, and outreach volunteers to help with special events, and outreach information tables.
We also currently have openings for volunteers to:
- Write / edit / produce the news --- shifts available every weekday
- Produce local news reports / develop a beat
- Produce and edit audio
- Produce public affairs content
- Contribute to web content
- Do janitorial work
- Help with facilities work
- Mail out "thank you gifts" to members who requested them
- Staff the KBOO info table at exciting events
- Staff the front desk
- Photograph KBOO events in and outside of the studios
- Record audio away from KBOO -- (create field recordings)
- Help plan special events / benefits
- Serve on advisory committees (open to KBOO members only)
- Engineer or announce live remotes
- Set up & mix live music for on air performances
- Maintain computers
- Help to database our music library
- Upload original archives to internet
- Create CDs from live in-studio performances
- Help write content for our website
- Create podcasts
- Board-op for news and public affairs programming
- Create dynamic public affairs programs
- Substitute for a music program host
- Help with social media outreach
- Contribute to grant applications / grant writing
If you have been to volunteer orientation and are interested in any of these roles, contact me to let me know. I will be happy to talk with you about the specific role, any training you need, and the schedule involved.
If you have not yet attended an orientation for new volunteers, contact me (BreAna) for all of the details to get involved! Call me at 503-231-8032 ext. 213, or via email.